Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Plans

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. ~ Proverbs 19:21

In the 2004 film Dodgeball, Vince Vaughn plays Peter La Fleur, the underachieving owner/manager of Average Joe’s Gymnasium. When asked by an auditor if he had a goal in life Le Fleur answers, “I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal.”

While the absurdity of this attitude is humorous, there are times when I want to join La Fleur. The emotional consequences of upset plans are just too painful.

For Valentine’s Day this year, we purchased tickets to see Pretenders in concert. It was a special night because Michele and I were celebrating our 25th year since we had first met. I had high hopes for a fun night of music and romance. It was a severely windy night with gusts up to 66 miles an hour. As Michele and I made our way to the theatre we were nearly knocked down. I feared our umbrella would be destroyed by the force of the wind. Finally we made it within eyeshot of the theatre marquee only to see the words “Tonight’s Show Postponed.” One of the musicians had fallen ill.

You can imagine our disappointment and frustration. We had decided on a short and inexpensive meal prior to the concert, so we weren’t going out to a restaurant as a back up plan. Movie times were way too late for Michele’s early morning work schedule, so reluctantly we drove home. What we had planned as a fun and meaningful evening had been detoured. It was “a bummer,” as they say.

Michele and I still were able to express our happiness at having been together for 25 years. We were able to exchange gifts and words of appreciation and love. But it was not the kind of evening we had hoped for. Instead it became an ordinary night like many others except of the glaring disappointment.

How well do you “let go” when plans go awry? It might be helpful to recognize that ultimately we are not in control of our lives. There are other agendas that sometimes collide with our course and upset our plans. But do we have to be defeated? Who is ultimately in control? The apostle James offers the humbling thought that the Lord is in control.

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. – James 4:13-16

Even simple plans for the day are under the Lord’s will. If I accept James’ worldview, then I have to see that my plans for a fun and romantic night out were trumped by greater needs. The high winds helped to dry up standing water from melting snow and rain. Perhaps that was a greater need. The sickly musician perhaps needed rest and a night off. I suppose I could logically accept these as being of greater importance than our desire for a romantic evening, but the truth is I wanted to see the Pretenders with Michele at my side. That was my dream for the night and it did not go as planned. Had I been humble enough to admit that I am not in charge and let go of my frustration, we might still have had a fun and romantic evening. After all we still had each other!

When your plans go wrong, consider that God has other plans. How do you feel about acknowledging God's control? May you be given peace as you surrender your plans to the Lord’s will each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment